Computer Science degree (Laurea in Scienze dell'Informazione, 110/110), University of Udine, 1984.
PhD in Computer Science, School of Computer Science at the University of Manchester, UK; 2017.
At the University of Udine, within the Department of Mathematics, Informatics and Physics I am formally enrolled as associate professor; since 1986 I taught:
- Object Oriented Programming, 2016-2022;
- Web Design and User Experience, 2010-2014;
- User Centered Web Design, 2004-2019;
- Web Quality and Certification, 2007-2008;
- Operating Systems, 1997-2008;
- Information Retrieval and Web Design, 1999-2003;
- Computer Architectures, 1995;
- Database and Information Retrieval, 1990-1994;
- Advanced Programming Techniques, 1987-1990;
- Pascal Programming, 1985-1987.
I'm member of the Uniud Sailing Lab where I work on user interface design for tools supporting sail racing crews.
Lecturer or invited speaker:
- Visiting professor at the University of Klagenfurt, Austria, for a 30-hours course on user centered design and accessibility: Nov-Dec 2012.
- Visiting professor for the Master for the Management of Digital Contents at the Facultat de Biblioteconomia i Documentació of the University of Barcelona, Spain; March 2011; Prof. Mireia Ribera.
- Visiting scholar at the Laboratorio de Interacción Persona-Computador para Necesidades Especiales of the Universidad del Pais Vasco, San Sebastian, Spain; March 2011; Prof. Julio Abascal.
- Visiting scholar at the Departamento de Lenguajes y Sistemas Informáticos of the Universidad de Alicante, Spain; April 2010; Prof. Cristina Cachero.
- Visiting scholar at the Dep. de Sistemas Informáticos y Computatión of the Polytechnic University of Valencia, Spain; June 2009; Proff. Silvia Abrahao and Emilio Insfran.
- Instructor at the WWW09 tutorial Accessibility for the Modern Web: Design and Evaluation of Accessible Websites, April 2009, Madrid.
- Keynote speaker at 2nd International Workshop on Web Usability and Accessibility, Auckland, NZ, Sept. 2008.
- Instructor at the Master in Open Distance Learning at the University of Udine (June 2003, May 2004, June 2006, June 2007, June 2008).
- Visiting professor at the University of Klagenfurt (Austria) for the course on Web Based Interactive Systems: user centered development of web applications (Prof. Martin Hitz, Oct-Dec 2006).
- Invited speaker at the Workshop on Web Accessibility and Metamodelling held in Grimstad, Norway (Prof. M. Snaprud, June 2006).
- Invited speaker at the 2nd International Congress on Inflammatory Bowel Diseases in the 2000's: the state of the art (Udine, Italy, Prof. Dario Sorrentino, April 2006).
- Visiting professor at the University of Klagenfurt (Austria) for the course on Web Accessibility (Prof. Martin Hitz, March-May 2006).
- Instructor at the "Rete Regionale di Alta Formazione per la Ricerca e l'Innovazione" (Trieste and Udine, Italy, Sept. 2005).
- Invited panelist at "Website wrestling", SXSW Interactive 2006, Austin TX (Glenda Sims, UT Austin, March 2006).
- Invited speaker at the Workshop on Web Accessibility and Metamodelling held in Grimstad, Norway (Prof. M. Snaprud, April 2005).
- Invited panelist at "Who says your site's accessible?", SXSW Interactive 2004, Austin TX (Sharron Rush, Knowbility, March 2004).
- Instructor at Air University - Austin, Austin TX (Sharron Rush, Knowbility, May 2003) on a course on using automatic web testing tools.
- Invited panelist at "Can Stevie Wonder read your site?", SXSW Interactive 2003, Austin TX (Sharron Rush, Knowbility, March 2003).
- Invited speaker at ADI'99 (Agenten, Datenbanken und Information Retrieval), a German conference on Distributed agents, databases and information retrieval, Rostock-Warnemünde, Germany, October 1999.
- Invited speaker at Final MIRA Conference, Glasgow UK (Prof. K. van Rijsbergen, April 1999).
- Instructor at Tampere Summer School on Information Retrieval, Tampere, Finland (Prof. K. Jarvelin, August 1997).
- Instructor at Summer School on Information Retrieval, 1st edition, organized by M. Agosti, B. Croft, N. Belkin, K. Van Rijsbergen, Padova, Italy, July 1987.
- Instructor at European Summer School in Information Retrieval, 1st edition, organized by M. Agosti, B. Croft, N. Belkin, K. Van Rijsbergen, Bressanone, Italy, July 1990.
I spent two years with the Qualitative Reasoning Group at the Dept. of Computer Sciences of the University of Texas at Austin, led by prof. Benjamin Kuipers, March-Sept. 1992, and again July 1995-Sept. 1996.
I am member of the program committee and/or reviewer or collaborator with the following conferences/journals/groups:
- Member of the steering committee for Web for All.
- Organizer of the WWW2014/W4A joint panel 2020: game over for accessibility?
- W4A: Int. Cross-Disciplinary Conference on Web Accessibility 2008 - 2012; Student Award Judge for W4A 2012, general chair for Web for All 2013; Student Award judge for W4A 2015; program committee member 2017
- Mobile web information systems 2012;
- The 30th ACM/SIGAPP Symposium On Applied Computing 2015;
- Member of the Editorial Board of the ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing journal;
- ACM ASSETS 2008 (Co-chair of Doctorial Consortium), PC member ASSETS 2009, ASSETS 2010, ASSETS 2011, ASSETS 2012 (Associate Chair), ASSETS 2013, (Co-chair of Doctoral Consortium), PC member ASSETS 2014, Co-chair of Doctoral Consortium for ASSETS 2015, 2016,2017
- CHI 2008, CHI 2009, CHI 2011, CHI 2012, CHI 2013, CHI 2014;
- Engineering Interactive Computing Systems 2012;
- Member of the W3C Research and Development Working Group 2012-Sept. 2014;
- International Conference on Web Engineering ICWE 2014; International Conference on Web Engineering ICWE 2015
- Co-chair and editor of the W3C Website Accessibility Metrics webinar, Dec. 5, 2011;
- Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference, 1989-1993, 1995-1996, 2000, 2002, 2004 - 2011;
- INTERACT 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013;
- INTERACT 2011 Workshop on Mobile Accessibility;
- QWE 2010: 1st International Workshop on Quality in Web Engineering, PC member; QWE2011; QWE 2012; QWE 2013
- MOBACC 2011-1012; MOBACC 2013 3nd Workshop on Mobile Accessibility, PC member;
- 2nd Int. Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval 2009, Cambridge, UK; 3rd Int. Conference on the Theory of Information Retrieval 2011, Bertinoro, Italy
- 3rd International Workshop on Web Usability and Accessibility, IWWUA 2009, Poznan, Poland, Oct. 2009
- Brazilian Symposium on Multimedia and the Web, WebMedia, Fortaleza, Brazil, Oct 2009
- 30th European Conf. on Information Retrieval 2008, 2009
- Int. Conference on Theory of Information Retrieval 2007, 2009
- W3C Working Group on Authoring Tools Accessibility Guidelines (until 2003)
- W3C Working Group on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (until 2003)
- Congress of the Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence, 1989, 1991, 1993;
- International Workshop on User Modeling, Boston, 1994;
- 6th International Conference on User Modeling, 1997;
- Final MIRA Conference;
- New Review of Hypermedia and Multimedia;
- Information Processing and Management;
- IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetics;
- IEEE Expert;
- IEEE Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence;
- IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics;
- IBM Systems Journal;
- ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction;
- ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing;
- ACM Transactions on the Web;
- Advances in HCI Journal;
- Computer Reviews;
- Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology;
- Communications for the ACM.
In June 2012 I co-founded Interaction Design Solutions, a university spin-off company that develops software and provides services for automating execution of end-to-end and acceptance tests. The company is also very active in consultancy work on quality of software: user interfaces, architectures, agile development processes and software testing processes.
I was President for the company for several years. Now I act as scientific advisor.
I'm currently co-operating with a number of companies in projects dealing with software quality. A best paper award was granted to the paper A sustainable software testing process for the Square Kilometre Array project for the work I'm contributing to in the context of the largest telescope in the world.
From January 2000 to April 2004 I was scientific advisor for UsableNet Inc., one of the leading companies producing web testing tools. I supervised the development of key products including: LIFT for Dreamweaver, LIFT for Dreamweaver - Nielsen Norman Group edition, LIFT Machine, LIFT Online, LIFT Text Transcoder, OEM technology included in Dreamweaver. I collaborated with Macromedia and with the Nielsen Norman Group.