The Body Lab UdinE (BLUE) is part of the Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory at the University of Udine and is coordinated by Dr. Cosimo Urgesi.
Current Lab Members are:
- Dr. Alessandra Finisguerra, who is a researcher at the Scientific Institute, IRCCS E. Medea, Pasian di Prato, Udine, working on the neuropsychology and neuromodulation of cognitive, affective and social functions in neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Dr. Marco Zanon, who is a post-doc fellow at the University of Udine, working on the neural bases of deception detection and modulating role of social biases.
- Dr. Sonia Betti, who is a post-doc fellow at the University of Udine, working on the top-down modulations of motor resonance and on the relations of social percepiton with language and executive functions.
- Dr. Giulia D'Argenio, who is a PhD student at the University of Trieste, working on body image representations and social perception in Eating Disorders.
Our major expertise is in single pulse and repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) of body and action representation. In recent years, we havetranslated the results of our basic neuroscience researches on the neuropsychological and neurophysiologic evaluation of brain lesion and mental disorders patients.
Our research interests include the study of the:
- neural bases and development of corporeal knowledge;
- neural mechanisms involved in action prediction and anticipation,
- neural and cognitive correlates of elite sport performance and sport learning;
- neural bases of self-transcendence.
We have a strong link with the Scientific Institute “E. Medea”, a research child hospital specialized for neurodevelopmental disorders, where we conduct research activity on the neuropsychological bases of social perception in neurodevelopmental disorders.
Clinical and basic research activity on adults is conducted at the Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Laboratory (TMS-Lab) at the Hospital Gervasutta of Udine, established in collaboration with the University of Udine and the Scientific Institute (IRCCS) “E. Medea”. The TMS-lab (two rooms) is equipped with:
a) three Magstim TMS devices (Bistim, Rapid and Rapid2);
b) Nicolet Viking IV and Biopac MP-36 Electromyography and Psychophysiology recording systems;
c) Neuronavigation System (EMS Softaxic);
d) eye tracking system (Applied Science Laboratory EYE-TRACK-6 desktop);
e) tDCS device (EMS brainstim).
Our activity is currently supported by the following Research Grants:
2019: Department of Language, Literature, Communication, Education, and Society, University of Udine, PRID 2018 - PREDICT_ PREDICTive brains in social contexts. PI: Dr. Cosimo Urgesi, University of Udine.
2019: Regione Autonoma Friuli Venezia Giulia, Progetto di Ateneo ex L.R. 34 art. 5 c. 29-33 (2017) - Perception of others’ fooling behaviors in a multiethnic society. PI: Dr. Cosimo Urgesi, University of Udine
2019: Italian Ministry of Health, Current Research program – Specificity and generalizability of cognitive control mechanisms for verbal and nonverbal domains: the effects of bilingualism. PI: Dr.ssa Alessandra Finisguerra, Scientific Institute, IRCCS E. Medea.
2018-2021: Italian Ministry of Health, Finalized Research, Young Investigator Grant 2016, Neurocognitive underpinnings of social perception abilities in congenital and acquired cerebellar damage: Neuropsychological evaluation and treatment. PI: Dr. Cosimo Urgesi, Scientific Institute, IRCCS E. Medea.
2018-2020: Department of Language, Literature, Communication, Education, and Society, University of Udine, PRID 2017 - COLLECTION - domain specificity of Cognitive cOntroL for LanguagE and aCTion selectION: behavioral and brain stimulation studies. PI: Dr. Cosimo Urgesi, University of Udine.
2017-2019: Italian Ministry of Health, Current Research program - Using neuromodulation techniques in the rehabilitation of social perception abilities in pediatric ataxia. PI: Dr.ssa Alessandra Finisguerra, Scientific Institute, IRCCS E. Medea.
Previous research was funded by the: European Commission (H2020 and FP7 Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowships for Career Development); Italian Ministry of University and Scientific Research (Future in Research Program 2012; PRIN 2009); Italian Ministry of Health, Scientific Institute E. Medea (Current Research Programs 2010-2017; Finalized Research, Young Investigator Grant 2008); Consortium of Italian and Argentinian Universities (CUIA research Program 2010); Royal Society (Research Grants 2015R2); Italian Institute of Technology (IIT SEED Project); Mind & Life Institute (Mind and Life Contemplative Studies Fellowships 2012; BIAL Foundation (Bursaries for Scientific Research 2010-2011).